1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Cross and Healthy Treats

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tumbleweed Farm, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

My 4 week old CXs will not eat warermelon, cantaloupe, cherries, spinach or strawberries. They won't peck at anything to get food off (i.e., cherry, watermelon) If it isn't an easy eat they won't eat it. They do love corn and scrambled eggs though, easy eats. Is this typical of CX behavior?

2. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    :(Does someone know if this is typical?

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Yes, mine will turn to more natural foods only if the feeder remains empty most of the time, but raising them with another breed can get them a little more inclined to eat things other than the commercial feed. Part of the success of the modern white broiler as the ultimate bird for fast growth and great feed conversion ratioes is that they do not have much tendency to burn calories looking for and eating feeds that wouldn't fuel the rapid growth, being quite willing to wait for the feed trough to be filled.

4. eatmorechicken

eatmorechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    I train my meaties. When I give them watermelon I sprinkle feed on top. The birds peck at it and soon they are eating it. The next time they get water melon they know exactly what to do with it. I give them treats when they are hungry, and provide it before i give blended feed so that their craws are full with something healthy before they have the opportunity to lounge at the feeder. Treats need to be prepared for young broilers you need to make it easy for them. they don't tear and shred things apart like layers do, but will leisurely pick at soft, wet food if they have done it before.

5. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

Thanks Steve and EatMore for your responses. I thought some other foods besides feed might make for a tastier chicken, not sure about that though.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When I'd throw treats in for my meaties, they'd just give the treats the hairy eyeball and go to the feeder. You'd have thought I was trying to poison them or something! And it's not like they didn't see other chickens eating the treats, cause I had my layers and meaties in together and the layers know what to do with treats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by