Cornish Cross Care

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yolkoroo, May 8, 2011.

1. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I have some chickens (Deleware's and Speckled Sussex) under 1 year old. I have recently had what I think is a cornish cross (from pics found on BYC and behaviour/growth rate) and two other chicks literally dropped off with me. I think they are all between 2-3 weeks old and I have no idea how to care for the Cornish...it is getting so big so fast, has to sit down alot and eats a lot. Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a way to manage the weight gain and keep him/her like my other chickens, or is this impossible with a Cx meat bird? The other chicks are much smaller, one is a Bantam (silkie or something- can't post pics for some reason)on the thread for breed ID). Do I need to separate them? THANK YOU.

2. cliffsdad

cliffsdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    I have 3 1/2 week old layer pullets living with 1 1/2 week old CX's. They are now almost the same size and the CX's are SO bossy and hungry that they keep the others from eating as much! I think the layer pullets are almost feathered enough to leave the light and they will be better off without the competition! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Thanks, are you planning on continuing to keep the Cx with the layers? Will that work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by