1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish cross chick with wry neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dshaffer, May 1, 2017.

1. dshaffer

dshaffer New Egg

May 1, 2017
    We just picked up 10 Cornish cross chicks from our local rural king for $1 each, after getting them home I noticed one didn't keep its head straight and often rested it completely on its back. I did some googling (we've had chickens for a year now but just for eggs and never had a problem with them) and found that it has wry neck. I saw that it's treated with vitamin e and pro vi Sol I believe. I would like to start treating as soon as possible so I'm wondering if I can use just vitamin e oil or should I wait until tomorrow and get vitamin e capsules?

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Vitamin E and Selennium is what worked for our chick that had Wry Neck. I can't remember what proportions I used or if I just guessed, but I used the capsules, cracked open a capsule and mixed the oil with a little selennium powder (also from a capsule). I think I did it just once a day. I also finely chopped sunflower seed hearts and fed all the chicks a few of those mixed with their crumbles every day, since sunflower seeds contain Selennium. Anyway, it worked very well...she's almost a year old now and doing just fine...no more evidence of Wry Neck or anything.

If you search on here, you'll find other threads about Vitamin E, Selennium, and Wry Neck. I'm not really sure if it makes any difference if you use the Vitamin E oil, or a capsule. But the Vitamin E and Selennium have to go together, as the Vitamin E promotes proper absorption of the Selennium. Selennium is sometimes hard to find, but health food stores should carry it.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. dshaffer

dshaffer New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Thank you, I'll do a little more research. I'm not sure how old these chicks are, probably at least a few days or so, we tried to pick smaller ones so we could keep them all with our 2 day old Australorp mixes we hatched Friday and Saturday. I read about scrambled eggs but don't know if I should give them to the chicks this young.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I think you can't go wrong with the Vitamin E and Selennium. I think it is very safe, even if measurements aren't exact. I just remember how miraculous it was when we did it. Good luck! We didn't use scrambled eggs, I've never tried scrambled eggs with chicks that young.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by