1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish cross chicks dying

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Farmgal10, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Farmgal10

Farmgal10 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    We ordered some cornish cross chicks a week ago from a hatchery and after a few days they started dying. Everyone is eating and drinking water fine, then a few hours later their dead. Brooder is at 90-95,we have a nipples waterer and shallow dish, chick starter for 10 hours on 14 off so they don't over eat and they were supposed to have been immunized against Cocci at the hatchery. Any ideas as to why they keep dying? We list five this morning at a week old.

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Week old chicks need feed and water all day. Not sure if that's your problem but it might be.

3. Farmgal10

Farmgal10 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    I just saw that the stupid birds are just trampling each other. It's not a health issue at all!

4. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Nope, it is a management deficiency.

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I'd suggest access to food 24 hours a day. Check your brooder for drafts as little chicks are susceptible to drafts. I'm also wondering where you live and if this is your first batch of Cornish Cross chicks. I ask because I've given up on them. I've had great results with Freedom Rangers and Red Rangers and layers, but dismal results with Cornish Cross. I live at 8,000 ft of altitude and I believe that this may be a contributor since CX have heart issues. I've also never tried brooding baby chicks at this time of the year, and wonder if your shippment may have been subject to cold temperatures in transit and may be compramised in some way.

6. Hiltonizer

Hiltonizer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Central Maine
    At that age, there's no need to restrict food. Worry about that in weeks 3+.

In my experience, CC's have very weak ability to digest coarse feed. That, combined with restricting feed, is probably causing them to get their crops bound up. Give them 24 hour free choice, and avoid bad feed (Dumor!) and they'll stop dropping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by