Cornish Cross chicks missing feathers ?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kyron4, Apr 21, 2019.

1. kyron4

kyron4 In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2019
    Northern Indiana
    First time raising Cornish Cross, got 4 chick that about 4 to 5 weeks old and they look terrible, as in ugly. Missing a lot of feathers on the back, tail, and belly. Some more than others. They seems fine , very plump, moving around the best they can , eating and drinking well. Is this normal ? I have read that the X chicken tend to look "ratty" Is this what they are referring to ? -Thanks

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Pictures would help. Where did you get them from? What were the condition of the rest of the chicks you chose from? Have you checked them of parasites; mites/lice?

3. kyron4

kyron4 In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2019
    Northern Indiana
    I got them from the farm store, all fluffy healthy chicks in a stock tank. I see no parasites and all my egg laying chicks are fine. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

4. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Songster

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    Normal. They go through and awkward ugly stage. Lol. :lol:

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    By 4 to 5 weeks they should be getting pretty close to fully feathered. I call the 3 to 4 week age of normal chickens the vulture phase. The feathers are coming in but in splotches, they tend to look ratty.

But CX are not necessarily normal chickens. They tend to grow so fast the feathers can't keep up. Photos are always appreciated but I think that's probably what you are seeing, another consequence of really fast growth. They can still handle cooler weather as if they did not have those bare spots, I would not be concerned. Turken, sometimes called Naked Necks, have absolutely no feathers on their necks and they are considered a cold weather breed.

ChickenCanoe and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  6. kyron4

kyron4 In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2019
    Northern Indiana
    GEDC0821.JPG

Attached Files:

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  7. Fairview01

Fairview01 Songster

Jan 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    They're going to be ready to process 8n q couple more or three weeks. 0nce they're processed lack of feathers become a mute point.

Just saying.

Compost King likes this.
  8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Yep that is what mine look like too, they just grow so fast.

Ridgerunner likes this.
  9. ambnett88

ambnett88 Hatching

May 8, 2019
    Mid Missouri
    It's normal. They grow so fast that they literally outgrow their feathers. They about the ugliest breed I've ever seen, like awkward little dinosaurs lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: