Cornish Cross Chicks-what should I feed?

ducks4you

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
East Central Illinois
I am considering getting some Cornish Cross Chicks because the local Rural King which JUST opened up is selling them in store. (That's how they're advertised!) IF I decide to buy, it's gonna be fast, in the next day or two. What should buy to feed them? They're advertised as "fast developing--ready to dress in 6 weeks."
Should I feed them Chick Starter, or should I feed them feed for meat birds? I'm inclined to get a bag of Chick Starter. My other birds are now on Layer feed and I used up their baby chick food.
caf.gif

We feed ours turkey starter. I would feed broiler starter if I could get it. You could probably get by with regular chick starter, but they really need a high powered feed. You would do well to get some extra vitamins too. We use Broiler Booster available from Murray McMurray. It really seems to help prevent leg and other problems.

THANKS! I'll be buying the feed from the same store. I'll let you know if I get them, and I'll update you. I'm about to slaughter my 3 RIR roosters--7 months old now, big beautiful and meaty!!!--And I have a 3 x 3 x 4 ft deep rabbit hutch (waist height) in the barn to put these little fuzzybutts in. Plus, I have 4 other cages to subdivide, if necessary.
THIS site is BETTER than ANY other info site on the net!!!!!!

Ours doesn't sell broiler starter, either. I was told to feed them gamebird/showbird starter, since it is high in protein. I don't think you are supposed to feed medicated feed, which a lot of chick starter is. In fact, you can't find non-medicated chick starter around here.
hu.gif

Shelly

THANKS! I'll look for that, too. I do know, from reading the meat bird owner's posts, that gaining weight fast is hard on their legs, so, if I buy 'em (DH got very excited when I told him my intentions....hmmmm) I'll order the Broiler Booster from McMurray.
...getting TOO addicted to birds--stopped eating (GOOD for my diet), and, instead staying TOO long on this forum!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Back
Top Bottom