1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Cornish Cross dying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitey_87, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Whitey_87

Whitey_87 In the Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    It is almost midnight where I am. I went out to check on my 1wk old chicks and saw a JCXR that was not responding to the others jumping around. It just sits there and peeps. It moved some when I picked it up to bring it inside and give it some water by spoon. It did drink a fair amount such that I can feel that the crop is squishy. I can say that I did not feel any feed in it. It is growing well like the others, I noticed this deterioration within the last 3 hours.

I know the meaties have their problems, but if anyone can suggest what might be going on I can swing by the southern states in the morning to try to help it...if it makes it through the night. I will post back when I get up in the morning on its status. See the pictures. It just wants to sit with its eyes closed. When I disturbed it, it did open its eyes for a second or two and then shut them again.

Thanks for the input.

Whitey,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Oh, the poor little chick. I am not an expert but answering some questions can help those who are help.

When did you get them?
    Was the chick eating earlier today?
    Is the chick warm enough? Some get pushed away from the heat by the others and get chilled.
    Is there any feces blocking the vent (pasty butt can be fatal if not cleaned away from the vent frequently)?
    Was this one acting any different than the others prior?
    Is there an odor from the crop (sniff by the chick's beak)?
    Any chance the food got wet and formed mold (bag was dry and normally intact)?
    Is there bruising on the chick?

You can try giving a tiny bit of plain yogurt and scrambled or mashed hard cooked egg and add vitamins and electrolytes to the water. Offer the food and water frequently. Keep the little one at about 90 degrees and a little space for the chick to get away if its too hot. A feather duster or small stuffed animal in the box with it may lessen some stress for now.

Hope he/she gets better [​IMG]

3. Whitey_87

Whitey_87 In the Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    It died. [​IMG]

Well, I believe the one I found dead this morning was the chick in the pictures. It was laying flat on its back. From what I have read before - CHF/heart attack, aka "Flop / Flipped". All the others still seem healthy, no odd poos, drinking lots of water, faces planted in the feeders.

I did move their brooder outside (the shed was getting too hot in my opinion - I was seeing a decent amount of panting). I had moved them out of the brooder to a temporary pen and then moved the brooder to where I wanted it outside. I then put the chicks back in the outside brooder. The stress of these two moves may have aggravated its condition. Like I said before they were all chipper and trying to get away from me when I was moving them (the time span I mentioned above).

Chickerdoodle:
    6-14
    I believe so.
    Yes, maybe too hot (thermometer was saying 95°-100°) but they have plenty of room to get away from the lamp.
    No pasty butt
    I did not notice any difference in its reactions to me (trying to get away)
    Did not smell for sour crop
    Food is dry
    Did not notice any brusing, but the JCXR's appear to be reddish under their white fuzz.

thanks for the suggestions though.

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I am sorry. CRX do have more health problems but any breed can fail to thrive. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: