Cornish Cross eggs

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bouncer, May 6, 2011.

1. bouncer

bouncer New Egg

May 5, 2011
    I was wanting some Cornish cross fertile eggs. Can anyone help?

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I can't say that I have ever seen those for sale. [​IMG]

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Want in one hand and..................

They exist, but not on the open market.

4. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Purely out of curiosity, but why not?

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If we are discussing commercial cornish cross the industry is highly protective of them. All sorts of hoops and red tape involved getting involved in the broiler industry.

6. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    typically, the birds don't reach breeding age, and if they do, they have trouble mating naturally.

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Quote:That is only true for the end product of the pyramid that is sold through hatcheries. Secondly they would never breed totally true to the parents capabilities anyways.

Now the other four lines that go into making up that final product produce just fine.

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:Select hatcheries have bred the 4 lines to produce a consistent product. The cost of developing the grandparent and parent lines is relatively high, maintaining two separate flocks to lay eggs to make another two flocks that in turn lays the eggs that are hatched to become the target bird.

After all that work and investment, would you go for the minimal payoff when selling eggs, or go for maximum payoff and sell the chicks so that somebody else could circumvent your access to a captive market?

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  9. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Makes sense, I guess. I always assumed it involved complicated breeding, as the end result wouldn't be able to breed or lay eggs at all/well. But I didn't realize they don't sell eggs- I mean, if people want them and they mark them up a little (like higher than other eggs, but still cheaper than chicks) they could sell them. They would save on the overhead of hatching them, at least. But I was only curious- I'd much rather buy chicks myself than buy eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by