1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish cross feed usage

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sandspoultry, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    There was another post today about the feed used to raise cornish cross. Has anybody else kept records on how much feed the used to get to process weight? We had some written down when we raised them but now of course when looking for it it's nowhere to be found.

Steve in NC

2. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    we used approx 14 - 50lb bags in 8 weeks

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It depends on how large you raise them.

A conservative estimate is 3 lbs of feed for every 1 lb of weight they gain (live weight, not dressed weight).

So, if you wanted 10# birds for 6# dressed roasting birds, you'd go through 30# of feed.

In reality, the FCR is closer to 2.5, but you need to account for waste, spillage and inefficient feed conversion since you are not raising them in temperature/climate controlled conditions.

4. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We go through 12 to 13 bags of 50 lb feed to raise them to 8-9 weeks. Most will dress out at 5 to 6 lbs at that age. This is for 25 birds.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Thanks for the replies everybody, we were thinking about it from a resale angle. We have a local fleamarket where we sell extra roo's etc for eating birds and we were thinking about adding some meat birds to the mix and see what the profit/vs feed comes out at.

Steve in NC

6. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I sell at $3.75/lb on sell out very quickly. But even at that price, I figure I profit at most $2/bird. It's a labor of love. I want good chicken. I want to eat good chicken. If I can sell 40 and keep 10, then others are paying me to eat my own good chicken. It's not a bad lifestyle.

7. MyraNC

MyraNC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    Hi, I'm new to the meat chicken world but decided I would try 15 to see how it goes. What kind of feed do you feed and for how long? I just got mine and have them on starter. Is that what they should be eatting? I read every 5 days take them off feed for 12 hours so they don't get heart attacks of trouble with their legs. Does that sound right?

8. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Most people use a broiler starter/finisher from beginning to end. But, a chick starter is very similar, so that's fine for now. You just don't want to change feeds ever more than once, since their life is brief and they studder everytime you switch their ration.

Most broilers are done around 8 weeks, but closer to 9-10 if they are pastured.

Many people here raise excellent broilers feeding 12 on/12 off, while others leave it out free choice. It's more a religious matter than a technical one.

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I started with 26 birds. Three died. I have gone through 450 pounds of feed over an 8 week period.

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I feed 20# protein broiler feed all the way through. After the first three weeks of free feeding, I finish by giving them 12 hours on, 12 hours off food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by