Cornish cross for meat birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickortreat, Jan 1, 2011.

1. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Okay, I'm going on two years into chickens now....still haven't learned it all, but enjoying the learning. I'm now interested in raising meat birds, and am wanting to know what to cross for best results. I was raised on a broiler farm, and personally assisted with the raising of over a million broilers, and am still amazed at how much faster they mature than "old-fashioned" breeds. In the spring of 2009 when I got started with my chickens, the feed store had a "special" going where they gave you 5 free chicks with every bag of starter feed you bought. My five were white (broilers, I suspect) and at six weeks they were at least twice as big as my RIR's and Barred Rocks.

So.............if I were to cross two breeds in the quest for a fast-grower, what should I use? I'm considering Dark Cornish over perhaps White Rocks, but might just use DC over a RIR or BR hen. Any thoughts? I've read about White Cornish, but have yet to find a source. I've seen them offered in Bantams, but not full size. We butchered some RIR roosters earlier this year, but they were nowhere near as big as the broilers last year and were very tough as they were nearly a year old.

As I understand it, one cannot just buy Cornish X Rocks and raise off them as the offspring will not be true.....true?

Anyone else into crossing breeds for meat production?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by