Cornish cross hen with ???

dirtbagchickens

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Apple Valley, CA
I'd like to to keep one or two broilers from this batch from McMurray's with a rooster and try to incubate some. I have a mature pearl wht leghorn roo. do they start laying about the the same age as layers?

Any good threads on crossing Cornish Cross with others?
or tips in how they are different to keep vs eggers?

I'd like to to keep one or two broilers from this batch from McMurray's with a rooster and try to incubate some. I have a mature pearl wht leghorn roo. do they start laying about the the same age as layers?

Any good threads on crossing Cornish Cross with others?
or tips in how they are different to keep vs eggers?
She’ll start laying at around a year old. She won’t lay very many eggs because Cornish crosses went bred for eggs. She’ll lay white xxl eggs. Make sure she has plenty of room to run around and get exercise. Don’t let her have food 24/7 so she won’t just set around and eat all day.

I kept a Cornish cross and bred her to a naked neck chicken!

She’ll start laying at around a year old. She won’t lay very many eggs because Cornish crosses went bred for eggs. She’ll lay white xxl eggs. Make sure she has plenty of room to run around and get exercise. Don’t let her have food 24/7 so she won’t just set around and eat all day.

I kept a Cornish cross and bred her to a naked neck chicken!
yeah, how did the off spring turn out?

What are you trying for? Almost every reason to keep a CX for breeding would be erased by the leghorn genes
ah, that is helpfull. yeah, looking to keep a decent broiler line on site, something I can incubate, plumps out relatively similar to the CX. I also have a Cochin rooster. if that offers any other genes more compatible with broilers? I was anticipating needing to just find broiler type roo

yeah, how did the off spring turn out?
They’re pretty meaty birds still. They’re able to fly and get around a lot better than they’re mom who sadly was attacked by a dog. Both the males and females are good personality.
CC62BC1E-A428-47B7-8311-95B5F0DEA399.jpeg
C8137398-E781-4EBA-A580-4039CD312925.jpeg

I sold the males (these guys are possibly Cornish cross over Cornish cross)
238ACE41-2320-4987-A2D3-F49554A7BBAF.jpeg
5F010026-6190-46F7-AAF9-5965EC76CA14.jpeg

If your wanting to throw in Cochin get a bantam cornish hen. They’re basically a Cornish cross but you dont have to watch they’re diet, they can do anything a regular bantam can do and are meaty birds.

If your wanting to throw in Cochin get a bantam cornish hen. They’re basically a Cornish cross but you dont have to watch they’re diet, they can do anything a regular bantam can do and are meaty birds.
This I can kind of agree with. Honestly though, I just stick with the bantam Cornish and forget the crosses at all. My Cornish bantams are pretty meaty all on their own and i don't need a second thought about filling their feeder up all the way

Back
Top Bottom