Cornish Cross hens. Loss of feathers and warm. Whats wrong?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by couvgirls, Feb 19, 2013.

1. couvgirls

couvgirls New Egg

Oct 31, 2012
    I bought Cornish Cross hens 1 week ago and they are hot like they have a temp and it looks like the feathers are falling out. 1 died a few days after getting them. Does anyone know what it might be?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Cornish cross are meat birds and are raised for 6 to 8 wks and then processed for consumption. They often die from ascites or pulmonary hypertension or some form of heart failure ( right ventricular failure). The demand for oxygen goes up in these birds during cooler weather or when it is hot- this leads to the problems I listed. It is not unusual for cornish cross to die.

Tim

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You probably have too much heat on them. Only feed them for 12 hours on than remove the feed for 12 hours. Thay have a high metabolizi, they will feel hot. Make sure they always have lots of water. You might want to try fermented feeding.

4. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    may I ask What is fermented feeding.? I have seen it before but dont know what It means

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Its when you set feed or grains in a bucket and you add water and ACV ( unpasteurized) and let it ferment for 12 hours to 2 to 3 days for all grain. The wayer should be 1/ inch above feed Upuu drain it then feed them. You csn get more info off the meat bird forum. I havent tried ot yet, but im going to this go around with my meaties. It is supposed to make thrir poop not so runny snd they eat less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by