Cornish Cross Paralyzed Feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janame, Jun 25, 2016.

1. janame

janame New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Hello! I have 11 Cornish X just shy of 5 weeks old. Yesterday morning, my wife found one shivering / twitching on the ground, unable to move, and covered in ants. She took it inside and washed off the ants and dried it gently with the hair dryer. There is some redness around the feet / legs, where we suspect the ants were attacking. The bird drank water, but has been uninterested in eating (24% protein DuMor).

The bird is now alert, but is unable to move. The feet seem completely inert, no amount of manipulation will cause a response. If I try grabbing any part of the leg further up from the feet, the bird will react and pull the leg away. The feet just don't work anymore!

The rest of the flock seems perfectly happy and fine. We've raised poultry for many years, but this is our first time with Cornish X, which I understand to have more problems than the regular breeds.

I'm guessing this is a breed defect, rather than disease? Is there anything to be done for this bird, or is it time to cull? Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I had a chicken, Gimpy (Cornish X), with the same problem. I think it is a breed problem with the rapid weight gain. We ended up making a separate pen with water and food and a shade umbrella. It was a little high maintenance, and we had to move the bird to and from the pen at night. We wrapped the hocks gently with gauze to cushion the legs and avoid more injuries from sitting on them all day. Gimpy developed normally to butcher weight and (one day before going to the butchers) got grabbed by an owl before we got him inside one night. Hopefully this helps!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure to put poultry vitamins in the chicken's water. Vitamin or mineral deficiencies are very common. If there is no improvement in a week or so, I would teh provably go ahead and butcher or cull him.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by