Cornish Cross??

jaylynndavis

Hatching
Sep 25, 2019
Help, we purchased several chickens from Tractor Supply in the spring. We were told they were Cornish cross and would get really big really fast. They are now 5 1/2 months old and about the same size as our Easter Eggers. Most of them are not solid white. They have brownish feathers on them too. What’s your opinion?

Attachments

• 2A6DC8BF-AB0A-4ECC-A7F2-E108F46B477E.jpeg
    2A6DC8BF-AB0A-4ECC-A7F2-E108F46B477E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • DF3327A8-A111-4D32-9067-8145E67EBEC6.jpeg
    DF3327A8-A111-4D32-9067-8145E67EBEC6.jpeg
    987.1 KB · Views: 31
Hummm. Not Cornish cross but maybe just Cornish? I just ordered some dark Cornish eggs off of eBay they are really hard to get this time of year apparently.

Help, we purchased several chickens from Tractor Supply in the spring. We were told they were Cornish cross and would get really big really fast. They are now 5 1/2 months old and about the same size as our Easter Eggers. Most of them are not solid white. They have brownish feathers on them too. What’s your opinion?
Second pic looks like maybe leghorns? Unless you have been seriously rationing feed and even then the legs look to dainty. Could also be white Plymouth rock? They look like they are getting close to point of lay with combs turning darker.... honestly there are several white chickens that Could be? Best of luck! and yours was the opposite of most folks that walk out of tsc with chicks... usually they are told leghorn and get meat birds.

Maybe they are Rhode Island Whites. Combs are too small to be leghorns and they do not seem to be the same shape but they have the correct leg color for leghorns which has me thinking Rhode Island White. I am by far not the best to person to ask this but if you haven't already the genetics section is full of people who likely can tell you fro sure the moment they see the pictures.

Other options, Slow White Broilers and White Rocks.

This has come up on a few threads lately. I have not noticed where in the country these posts are coming from. There may have been a mix-up in a shipment from a hatchery.

I went through Henderson’s Breed Chart and came up with these as breeds that have a white-feathered variety and a single comb. I did not look at all of them to see that they are solid white but most of them are. There are several other breeds that have white chickens but don’t have single combs. This list does not include hybrids like Cornish Cross broilers or others.

Barnevelder, Cochin, Faverolles, Jersey Giant, Lamona, Langshan, Leghorn, Minorca, Turken, Orpington, Phoenix, Rock

Some of these are rare and not likely to come from a hatchery but just because a bird is white and has a single comb does not mean it has to be a Leghorn, White Rock, or Cornish Cross. Just because it comes from a hatchery or a breeder does not mean it has the right comb either. I know of one hatchery where their Rhode Island Whites have single combs. RIR’s can have either single or rose combs but the RIW’s are supposed to have a rose comb.

Those are obviously not Cornish Cross. Size and conformation rule those out. Those combs look like single combs. I think I see a touch of gold on some of them, not totally white. One tail and some necks. That makes me wonder if they are some type of laying hybrid with leakage.

Tractor Supply uses three different hatcheries to order their chicks. You might find the manager in charge of the chicks and find out which hatchery that specific store used and look through the hatchery website to see if you can see a match.

RI Whites are supposed to have a Rose Comb but Hoover Hatchery (TSC) has the single comb Variety. I have a RI White Rooster from TSC. He is currently with may Red Ranger and I just hatched 2 crosses. This threw me for a loop when I was segregating my Spring chicks into breeding pens, I had him in with the Leghorns for a while until I noticed one of my Leghorns as a big square and not slender sleek leghorn. I thought the RI White died when none of my birds has a Rose Comb. Then I went to the Hoover website and saw their RI Whites have single combs.

RI Whites are supposed to have a Rose Comb but Hoover Hatchery (TSC) has the single comb Variety.

I got some red sex link cockerels, Rhode Island Red rooster over Rhode Island White hens, from Meyer. I was ordering a few specific breeds/sex and got these to fill out an order and get cheap cockerels I could butcher. The rose comb is dominant so these should have had it, they did not.

Feeder.JPG

Back
Top Bottom