1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Cornish crossed DPs

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SteveH, May 15, 2010.

1. SteveH

SteveH Songster

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Man I would have loved getting ahold of something like your birds ! Will you be simply selecting for longer legs in their offspring or adding outside blood ?
    My opinion often angers many people , but it seems to me that breeding for showing at conformation is nearly always detrimental to the breed involved .

I am keeping some trio's of pure standard whites and then using some others I have to do some out crossing. I am not doing it to change the Cornish breed in any way from the standard, but to come up with a pure white Mostly Cornish Breeder to then out cross with some fast growing white rocks and I have. My goal is I am playing with trying to establish a breed that will closely resemble the best features we like in a meat bird with none of the down sides, The main goal is make the breed self sustainble and breed true future generations on their own. It is a lofty goal indeed but I have plenty of time LOL. I am also working on doing some crazy experiments with breeding some Cornish X meat birds and I have several chicks on the ground from them and more in the incubator, I raised them to a special regimine so they would get to laying and breeding age without keeling over from their common phsyical problems. So Steve yes I have several breeding projects going on but all are to develop this new breed and create a true sustainable meat bird that will lay and be processed in a reasonable amount of time and that the bird be an active normal bird that can forage and run flocks, but just still be a big huge bruiser LOL.

AL

Rather than hijack the WLRC thread , I'll continue here . Al , I think your project is admirable and quite doable . Its a shame [ in my opinion ] that a great meat bird like the Indian Game aka Cornish became a cartoon-like version of itself for the sole purpose of eye candy or winning shows .
    I don't have the same goal in mind as you . I was going to , and probably still will , raise some pure Ameraucanas . Then I read the standard and wondered why in the world they set the SOP weights so low for what I thought was to be a dual purpose breed that layed blue eggs ; and then focused their breeding efforts on things like leg color , eye color , shade of blue in the eggs , feather color , etc. . Of course a bird that takes Best of Show at a large APA sanctioned event is worth far more money to most ; whether or not its good for table fare or egg production is secondary to most .
    I decided to breed a flock of blue egg layers that are winter hardy , good layers , large and meaty , early maturers , etc. , etc. . If I can stay at it long enough , I want them all homozygous for the blue egg gene ; something no Ameraucana breeder I've contacted was willing to say their flock was . I'm aiming for a small flock of dominate white , and another of just the best performing birds regardless of color . Egg color that runs towards blue/green will not matter to me either , as long as they all lay a shade of blue . Since I like yellow skinned meat birds , the green shanks are fine by me also .

Last edited: May 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by