Cornish feather in grey? **update with better pictures in last post!**

aclee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Amesbury, MA
We have one cornish chick that is feathering in with all light grey and dark grey feathers...all the rest are getting white feathers, even those that had a slightly grey cast to their fluff...is this normal? Will it loss these feathers and get white ones later?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know. I've never had them feather anything but pure white.
idunno.gif
These are cornish X right?

Yup, pretty much the same size as the other 12 I got at the feed store. I ordered Jumbo Cornish X and Cornish Roaster (still have no idea what the difference is) from McMurray, but this is one of the 12 I got after that. They are a little larger than the others. It only said Cornish on the cage, so I'm guessing Cornish X? I'll try to get a good picture and post it later. All the rest are getting white feathers. This one has all it's wing feathers in but they are marbled...a little white, but mainly grey and dark grey.

Last edited:
It's the biggest bird we have right now...what is bigger than a cornish?

The only other thing thing the had was the Silver laced something, and RIR...

Not a great picture, but it's one I already had...you can see the dark wings...other than those, he looks just like all the others, and is only slightly bigger than the larger set of chicks, but is sleeping with some of the smaller ones in this picture...

IMG_7612-1.jpg

Oooh, they're still babies yet. I will bet within another week that chick will be smaller than the rest. Cornish X grow much faster than any other breed and will pass that other chick up. It is not a Cornish X. Can you try for a close up picture?

You got run of the mill hatchery stock birds from the biggest hatchery in the country, there is no telling what may have gotten thrown in there by mistake, I wouldn't jump at straws just yet wait till it feathers out in about 4 wks then you will know more about what you have or don't have.

AL

Back
Top Bottom