Cornish Game vs cross

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Lurch1, May 12, 2010.

1. Lurch1

Lurch1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    Perth, ON
    What do they cross the cornish chicken with in a cornish cross? How long do Cornish game take to get to market weight? Have you ever tried a RIR/ cornish cross?

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    cornish x rock im thinking of getting some cornish hens to breed with my barred rock for my own strand of broilers but i bet theres more to broilers then just 1 generation

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, commercial broilers are a line of white rocks crossed with a line of white cornish, that has now been in development for over 60 years on both ends, and the parent strains are owned by big companies.

4. Lurch1

Lurch1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    Perth, ON
    I have JGs. I wonder what the product would be if I crossed the hens with a cornish game roo

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Words like Cornish X , Cornish Rock , Jumbo Cornish , etc. does not really fit the meaties they are used to describe . Its been many years since pure strains of these have been used to produce the chicks we buy . I read on another thread that the OP took [ if memory serves ] something like 24 weeks to get a pure Cornish to finish weight .
    The first great commercial cross was Cornish X New Hampshire Red , taking advantage of the NHR's early maturity and disease resistance . Plymouth White Rocks soon replaced the NHRs as the preferred cross , then hybrid strains were developed ending the use of pure strains of Cornish on pure strains of White Rock . Its possible some of the old pure strains used to develope the current parent lines still exist and are used to try to develope new parent lines , but I'm not aware of any .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by