Cornish hen q

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SandraMort, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    If cornish hens are the same birds as regular chicken, just younger, and if the primary cost of birds is their feed, why are cornish hens SO much more expensive than regular chicken?

2. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    because people buy them

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Because there is a special market for them and the initial cost of chick is a greater part of the cost. I would also think the processing cost of gathering birds, moving birds, dispatching birds is probably about the same for a 2 lb bird vs a 10 lb bird, so that is passed on to the consumer as a greater cost per bird. For the amount of meat a 4 week old bird has, I wait till 8-9 weeks to get 4x the meat for just the cost of feed and some litter.

4. AnthonyT

AnthonyT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Franklin, KY
    Processing cost at the small processer here is almost identical. In a large chicken processing plant you still have to pay the workers the same per hour whether it is a large bird or small bird coming down the line. There is also the mistique of "Cornish Game Hen" that allows it to be priced higher. By definition of the USDA they must weigh no more than 2 lbs and be no more than 6 weeks old. Due to the age at slaughter there is a difference in the meat. Cornish Hen or Pousson as it is known in France is a totally different product than a broiler, they just happen to be the same bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by