Cornish Hens dead

Brianjtam39

Chirping
May 11, 2021
Both of my Cornish hens have died in the last 2 days. The 2nd one (Ducky)was coughing about 3 weeks ago and gave it penicillin for 4 days. She seemed to get better. Then 2 days ago the other one(Bunny) died, and then found Ducky dead today. I live in Arizona and it's been hot the last couple of days, but I am also worried about our 3 other chicks. They are smaller breeds and about 6 weeks old but bought them at other at a local feed store. Someone gave us the Cornish hens on Easter Sunday and he said they were 6 weeks old, but they were already like 10lbs. .

The one that died today was having trouble laying eggs, and was struggling today, but layed her last egg before she passed. The other one was always quiet, but the 2 were very close. The one that died today was on penicillin because she was coughing about 3 weeks ago. The one that died 2 days ago I noticed sneezing a little bit, but did not put on penicillin.

It sounds like they were cornish cross meat birds, the large ones we see in the meat departments for sale. People sometimes buy them at feed stores not knowing they grow rapidly and lead short lives. That may be why they were sold to you. Normally, they would be butchered/processes at 6-8 weeks of age. If they are kept longer, some may survive, but some will die of heart ailments, leg injuries, and other problems. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom