Cornish losing feathers on crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mesz5, Dec 22, 2013.

1. mesz5

mesz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    I checked on the girls to tonight and my Cornish has lost All the feathers on her crop?? Her crop looks swollen, but it's the end of the day and she has been eating all day? Her crop is squishy and soft? They do not have access to long grass this time of year, but there is a lot of straw and hay in the coop that they all scratch and pick at. I have been feeding them mostly layena crumbles, some cracked corn, things like pears and cauliflower? She isn't missing feathers anywhere else... So I assume it isn't molt. Guess I'll see how her crop is in the morning... Any ideas?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    How old is this chicken? Cornish X go through stages where they look kind of naked. If I were you, I would be feeding them broiler or turkey feed, not layena.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know if it is common for them to pull out their feathers over the crop if it is impacted or sour, but it would make sense. I would check her in the morning. If it is still full and squishy, that sounds more like sour crop. Here is a good link: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

4. mesz5

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    Thanks... She's 9 months old and I didn't know to feed her something different... Yikes guess I'll try and figure that one out

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she a cornish hen or a cornish cross (meat bird?) Layer would be fine for a cornish hen.

6. mesz5

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    Hen

7. mesz5

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    I just checked on the girls... Her crop was empty!! HOOORAY, BUT now I have no idea why she's picking out those feathers??? She seems fine and happy??

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check her all over for lice and mites. Could she be starting a molt?

9. mesz5

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    Maybe she's molting?? The rest of her feathers look fine?? So strange... I didn't see lice/mites but I will check again today.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay, I just reread where you said she is only 9 months old--probably not a molt, but they do have mini-molts several times the first year. Maybe a friend is picking out her feathers there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by