Cornish not eating powder/fines in feed

Matrix Escapee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
My Cornish are picking out all the corn wheat and peas in my feed. The mix also has crab meal and nutribalancer (kelp meal and minerals) which are both powdery/fine granular in texture. I am not only wasting feed, but am concerned about nutritional deficiencies and slow gain.

This was not a problem with previous flocks this past spring that I can remember. It has gotten hot here in Delaware over the last few weeks, so maybe temperature is playing a factor.

Anyone else feed a non-processed/pelleted feed where your birds are picking out the big pieces? I have 2,5, and 7 week olds all doing it, so it is not an age thing.

Help!

You could try making it into a sort of mush, so they can't avoid the small bits? But that isn't really much good if you have a feeder, or lots of birds.
sad.png

Your birds, like all birds, have found their favorite food as compared to the remainder of the mix. That is not likely to change.

I would suggest going to a straight pelletized feed that is well balanced.

For Cornish (and especially Orientals) 14% Hog Finisher is one of the best feeds on the market. They'll put on the weight without heart and leg problems developing.

I have the same issue, so I just add warm water and stir. If it's too runny, let it sit for a few minutes and stir again until it's like firm oatmeal.

018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom