Cornish not eating powder/fines in feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Matrix Escapee, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Matrix Escapee

Matrix Escapee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    My Cornish are picking out all the corn wheat and peas in my feed. The mix also has crab meal and nutribalancer (kelp meal and minerals) which are both powdery/fine granular in texture. I am not only wasting feed, but am concerned about nutritional deficiencies and slow gain.

This was not a problem with previous flocks this past spring that I can remember. It has gotten hot here in Delaware over the last few weeks, so maybe temperature is playing a factor.

Anyone else feed a non-processed/pelleted feed where your birds are picking out the big pieces? I have 2,5, and 7 week olds all doing it, so it is not an age thing.

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    You could try making it into a sort of mush, so they can't avoid the small bits? But that isn't really much good if you have a feeder, or lots of birds. [​IMG]
  3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Your birds, like all birds, have found their favorite food as compared to the remainder of the mix. That is not likely to change.

I would suggest going to a straight pelletized feed that is well balanced.

For Cornish (and especially Orientals) 14% Hog Finisher is one of the best feeds on the market. They'll put on the weight without heart and leg problems developing.
  4. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I have the same issue, so I just add warm water and stir. If it's too runny, let it sit for a few minutes and stir again until it's like firm oatmeal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by