Cornish questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horseyjess, Nov 4, 2009.

1. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    I am 99% that I have a bunch of Dark Cornish in this batch of chicks from MCMurray! I am thinking that there are about 8 of them. I need to start cutting down my numbers someone wants some hens she doesnt care what breed. I know these arent prolific egg layers but as long as they will that is ok with her. How can I tell the Roos from the Pulletts at 8-9 weeks this pea comb thing is a pain in the rump! It seems like some have more brown in them then others... Anyone have any pics to help me figure this out I know I have a bunch of EEs that I am having this same problem with so I am calling most Roos... Any pics would be great !!

2. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    The first thing I see on my darks in the shape of the juvenile feathers coming in on the saddle (pointed male, round female). The next thing I look at is the feathering on the chest. Hens will have a mottled look, males are solid.

It is very hard to tell the youngsters apart at a young age. I will see if I have any photos.

3. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:Appreciate it!! Thanks

4. spangledcornish

spangledcornish Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Southwest, WI
    males and females will have very distinct color differnces as the feather, females will be laced and the males will be black in color with bay on the primarys in the wings, feel free to vist www.acahadypoultry.com to view pictures of our cornish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by