cornish roaster butchered

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by paisleycj, Jul 10, 2008.

1. paisleycj

paisleycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    We butchered the cornish roasters. At 8wks, we had some 9lb roasters! The one pictured we rotisseried this weekend. They weren't as flavorful as I was hoping. Gotta raise something for more than 8wks for that! I'm hoping the Partridge Rocks I just started will fill the bill.

[​IMG]

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG] *drool* [​IMG]

That's a good lookin bird!

-Kim

3. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    All right, I'm confused. I have X-rocks and roasters and you are saying they aren't tasty??? That's totally different than what I've read on other messages.

I'm confused

4. paisleycj

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    They're better than store bought, that's for sure. I just know they don't have the flavor that my older hens and roosters have. 'Course they can get so tough I have to pressure cook them! It's a trade off.

5. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's the same sort of thing that if you get used to venison, beef tastes pretty bland.

6. ladyrua

ladyrua Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    *pout* I think my biggest one this batch only dressed out to 5 pounds! I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I'll re-check my feeding schedule I guess.

7. paisleycj

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:Ours grew for 8wks. I fed them a bag of medicated feed by accident once, otherwise I fed them a lower protein layer feed, and a mix the local elevator has. One thing we might have done different, is that they always had electrolytes and vitamins in their water. I know they were healthy birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by