1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Rock as Pets

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by miniprsn22, Apr 22, 2015.

1. miniprsn22

miniprsn22 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    I am a recently Brand New Chicken Mom. My chicks are only about 2 weeks old and are growing very quickly already getting in their white feathers. I know that they are supposed to be for meat but my son wanted them and I cant take them away from him. I have been reading through the forums about them and some people are adamant on using them for meat but I cant do that. We actually got the chicks on the same day we lost our beloved dog. So I guess what I am asking is how can I keep them to a pretty nice age. I have searched for things and ways online but once again they are meat chickens so not much turns up. When can I put them out in their little house my DH is making? What should I feed them as far as weight management and when should I switch them to normal adult feed. They cant have free range of the yard because of my Mother in laws cats so we are making them a run of 6 ft and house 4ft by 4ft. Will they lay eggs for me when they get big enough. I have lots of questions and am very confused and have mixed feeling on how to proceed. Thank you

2. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    Welcome to BYC !!
    You can give them regular chick feed and limit the amount and don't give them extra protein. They will grow slower and able to handle their large size.

1 person likes this.
  3. miniprsn22

Apr 22, 2015
    So just check how much protein is added into their feed or just not add any extra? I have had Rabbits before just never chickens so this is a whole new experience for me.

4. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    Yes. Regular chick feed is better than the high protein feed. Feed them in meals instead of continuos feed. Let run and play and be like regular chickens. Keep water and feed at different ends of run so they are forced to walk.

1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. If you're going to try and keep them, nj2wv has given you some good advice which will probably extend their lifespan somewhat. However, it is unlikely that any of your Cornish Rocks will live to be a year old no matter what you do. Even with a greatly restricted diet, I would expect to see them start suffering some serious health problems after a few months into their lives. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Cornish Rocks.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. miniprsn22

Apr 22, 2015
    Okay yea they will have a total of 10 feet by 4 ft of running space with their coop up off the ground so I can set them at opposite ends. and the coop is designed to be moved around. Good. Thank you so much. This will help me out alot. I appreciate it very much.

I hope that I am as lucky as the one woman who got hers to 4 years. Unfortunately TSC only had these left although 2 are much smaller than my other 4. They look the same. But much Smaller. So we had to buy these guys. Cute none the less. One of my chicks has 3 black spots/ sections of feathers He/she is sweet.

7. miniprsn22

Apr 22, 2015
    When is it safe to move them outside like at what age? Like i said they are at or around 2 weeks old.

8. miniprsn22

Apr 22, 2015
    If they start to suffer I will do the humane thing and euthanize them. One thing I cant stand is to see anything suffer. I just hope maybe we get lucky. Mine are pretty active now as chicks so I hope I get lucky. I only feed them once a day now and change their water like 3-4 times a day depending on what the kick up in their water. And they are very talkative. [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would think the same as any chick, when they are fully feathered out. I doubt that they can live long enough to produce eggs. This will teach your son some very hard lessons of life. Losing one will be bad enough but, he will have to go through them ALL dying young. Poor kid, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. How old is he?

10. miniprsn22

Apr 22, 2015
    He is 4. He named them after transformers so my plan was to tell him they got called out on a special mission. My DH got suckered in and couldnt wait. I am enjoying it but i am upset of the short expected lifespan. Although my 3 biggest are very active

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by