Cornish Rock chicks have warmer bodies than others??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Ce0522, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Ce0522

Ce0522 New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    We usually get a variety of layers, but this time we decided to try our hands at a few meat birds. We're learning a lot about them as we go, but one thing that really struck me as different is their bodies are SO warm. It's very weird. Like they've been sitting right under a heat lamp (which they are not), even in the morning, the coolest part of the day. Is that normal for this breed??

They are only a few weeks old so they don't have all their feathers yet, but none of our other birds ever felt this warm before their feathers came in......

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They are warmer. Almost sweaty feeling sometimes. Has to be their metabolism doing it.

3. Ce0522

Ce0522 New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Thank you! I had a suspicion that maybe that was the case, but just needed some reassurance.......

BTW, galanie, I see in your signature that you also farm mealworms and earthworms. That is my next venture! :) Did you make your own setup or buy something prefabricated? I'm hoping to get something started this weekend. Can't believe how excited I am about worms LOL

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    There is a great thread about mealworms called "Mealworm Farming" in the Feeding Your Flock section with tons of info. It's super long but the very first post/page has very good information. I followed suggestions there for setting up the mealworm farm.

But if you mean earthworms, I'm not all that successful at it. I also found that they do not multiply fast enough to really raise for any chicken feeding. I still have some and all, but the mealworms are what it pays to raise. They are stupidly easy. Especially if I can do it. hehe.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by