Cornish-Rock crossing for "improved" meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Obsessive, May 19, 2010.

1. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    I am wondering about crossing Cornish Rocks birds with other dual purpose birds to improve the quality, taste etc. and how realistic that would be. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cornish Rocks weren't made for breeding... they are made to grow quickly and then get processed.

I think that even if you were able to raise a hen to laying age, she wouldn't last long and I doubt you'd get many eggs out of her.

If you planned on using a roo, forget about it... if they lived that long, they'd crush the hen.

3. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Why don't you just want to raise cornish x?

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Definitely, I've done it with my CX hens and they are doing pretty good, but they do not last as long a normal DP hen.

The offspring are extremely uniform males are obviously bigger than females but overall for a backyard producer wanting chickens for themselves it would work perfectly. I have 6 currently at the moment so not enough to say every cross is that way..... but from what I can see they are only about 2-3 weeks behind a cx broiler.

5. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Quote:HA-HA you should see our cornish X roo, "McNugget"...and his GF [​IMG]

they were escapees and survived the slaughter. they are almost 9? months old he handles some of our layers (EEs,RIRs,BWyandottes,SLWyandottes....) ALGTHOUGH HE CANT CHASE THEM DOWN LOL he has to woo them with his charm. he sounds like and old clunker trying to start when he crows. and his GF lays an egg every couple of days.

but anyways i posted a more exact question in anouther thread...thanks

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    It can be done, and there are a lot of us on here doing it. Your best place to start would be to just read as much as possible on the Meat Bird thread . . . you will be shocked at the number of people doing what "can't be done" adn there is a lot of good info from our experiences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by