Cornish Rock Giant (tiny)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lovelopin, Jun 29, 2010.

1. lovelopin

lovelopin Hatching

Dec 11, 2009
    first post , i just got back into meat chickens again this year and have 40 healthy 6 week old birds with the exeption of 1 who grew like the rest until week 3 now he has hit a bump in the road . He still has the yellow down on his head and very few feathers covering his body . He eats and drinks well and gets around good . He just stopped growing and is less than 1/2 the size of the rest . Just wondering if this a common thing ?

2. thepromise

thepromise In the Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Orange County
    he might just be the runt of the family due to the breeding parents that were used... one of my muscovy was a runt when hatched... he was just smaller than any of his siblings... grew up to be only 6lbs, while his brothers weighed in at almost twelve when they were ready to eat...[​IMG]

3. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    Hey I got one of those out Of The ones I baught too [​IMG] All are Big except 1 its Not terrible small But Much smaller than the others , I think some one put in a small cornish hen To be funny [​IMG]

4. lovelopin

lovelopin Hatching

Dec 11, 2009
    thanks for the input , just found it a lttle odd to have him living in a land of giants

5. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    I've had two or three do that same thing in my batch. The first one that seemed to stop growing died last week. The other two seem perfectly fine and eat and drink well. It's like they stopped growing last week or something. The others are huge in comparison. I sure hope they make it to the process date. I've already lost five of the twenty-five I had. We have two weeks left so here's hoping they make it.

6. lovelopin

lovelopin Hatching

Dec 11, 2009
    the little tyke passed on last night found him at first light on the main trail to the feeder bad place to be when the stampede starts

7. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Awww sorry. Just had that happen to 1 of my turken hatchlings. Even though they were only a few days old, 1 was noticeably smaller then the others and I expected it. Still sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by