CORNISH ROCK HAVE A BAD REPUTATION OR WHAT

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 3 NH reds, Jul 24, 2014.

1. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I have raised chicken for a few years now but I was always afraid to raise the jumbo cornish rocks. The stories I hear are bad legs heart attacks and they eat them self to death. Well this year I got some and nothing like that has happened. This is week 8 and no one is sick or has a bad leg. They leave food behind! We were feeding them like a chart said we should and around week 6 we noticed they had food left over. I supplement with Fermented corn but I subtract some feed for that. The weights are right up where they belong as well. 2 more weeks and it will be the end but so far I would do this all over again.

2. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I have raised the Cornish X for quite a few years now without any of the horror stories told by some bleeding heart know it all' s, and / or by those that have an axe to grind with commercial producers. I laugh all the way to the dinner table [​IMG] while in the meantime the naysayers are still feeding $$$s to the so called Heritage birds. [​IMG]

3. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    I love my Cornish X. They maybe a little bit more pushy at feeding time, but who can blame them? They grow quick! I've had very few health problems. I let my birds free range and limit food past 2-3 weeks old. They are sweet birds. And awfully tasty, if I do say so myself.

4. cmchickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    Here are a couple pictures of my healthy, happy, and clean Cornish X chickens at 8 weeks. These were taken on processing day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    those x's have more feathers than i have seen on most any of the crosses....and look good...jeff

1 person likes this.
  6. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    We've also had only good experiences with them. We had some losses on our last batch and that's really the first time it's happened in raising a few hundred + of them. I've always wished there was a regular chicken with their friendly, docile personality.

7. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    All of your birds look healthy and happy. Kudos. I'm ordering 25 CX's in Sept. Hope I do as well.

8. cmchickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    I agree. My Cornish X are the friendliest birds. Follow me around the yard, tolerate being petted by my toddler. I suspect it is mostly food motivated though. I would love a chicken with Cornish X personality and regular chicken longevity.

Good luck on your birds! I'm convinced the best way to keep them healthy is limit feed and allow them as much range as possible to forage in. I've also tried Ranger type broilers, and have decided that I very much prefer the Cornish X. I will stick to them only in the future for meaties, unless I need some birds to grow out slowly over the winter.

9. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    I have one EO Basque that is so cute and friendly. The only one out of 6 that hatched. I'm getting another order in Sept. They are considered to friendliest birds out there. [​IMG]

10. cmchickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    EO Basque? I have never heard of those. Where'd did you get them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by