Cornish Rock Hens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ra, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    i was looking on ideals web site about theses birds. they said

"Cornish Rock Hens" are Cornish Rock females fed a high energy - high fat ration and processed when they are 4 to 5 weeks of age."

did i miss something or does this sound really fast to be ready to eat them? if its right it sounds great they grow that fast. or is this un health for the birds? also is it better to get hens or roos for meat birds? we are in the city and need to keep them quite.

thanks for any help

ryan

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Unfortunately, the four to five week mark is probably more accurate than it should be. Most commercial broiler farms process theirs at about 5 weeks of age, latest is typically 6 weeks. Since they grow so fast, they consume a lot of feed, make a BIG mess (& stink) and they are much more likely to have a heart attack. I would plan on about a 10% mortality rate... I think in the long run, though, they are much more economical than buying a non-meat breed. You can also try a slightly slower growing breed such as the Colored Rangers.

Roos or hens, it doesn't matter. I think the roos may(??) grow a little faster, but they won't be crowing by the time you're ready to *harvest* them.

Good luck!

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I think the term "cornish rock hen" refers to those little "one per person" hens you can buy at the grocery store - that is why you harvest them so early. As opposed to the cornish roasters or fryers.

meri

4. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    So are the roosters ready to cull at 4-5 weeks as well to get meat? If not, when is the reccomended time to cull Cornish Rock roos?

vortec

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:If you want fryers (about 5 pounds) at 7 or 8 weeks, if you want roasters (about 8 pounds) at 10 weeks.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:That information refers to the "Rock Cornish Game hens" that you see in the stores. If your goal is a roaster for 1 that's super tender and juicy, then you would want to follow that type of program. If you want broilers, fryers, or standard size roasters, then you raise the pullets the same way you would raise the cockerels and process them at about 6-8 weeks.

7. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    That is right, the hens are processed into cornish game hens. I grow mine out just like the roos. at 8 weeks they are not all that much smaller than the roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by