Cornish rock or leghorn or other?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mandapanda85, Mar 19, 2017.

1. mandapanda85

mandapanda85 Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Ridge Manor, Fl
    The guy who sold us our chickens from Craigslist sold us this guy as an I dunno except it's a hen. So we named it sandra d and well turns out sandra is a him. We've no idea what kind he is but he has come up lame on us. It started as a weak leg and has progressed to both legs and he won't stand at all. His legs are now splayed and his toes are starting to curl. We've made him a sling and brought him into the garage for some pampering. We've read on the forums of things it could maybe possibly be so we've started trying different things. A week ago we started him on pedialyte, a few days later we bought durvet vitamins and electrolytes and durvet durastart bc we read a vitamin deficiency could cause his symptoms. We were at a family event today and many are chicken owners and my cousin had a chicken with similar symptoms and she said she gave hers dewormer which fixed the problem so we bought some wazine today. The thing that worries us now is they also said some white chickens are meat chickens and meant to be slaughtered at 6 mos (sandra was born Oct 23 uh oh) because they get too large for their legs to support them. Sandra is eating, drinking and pooping like a champ (no bloody or loose stool). Sandra quickly became my favorite even though she turned out to be a he because of his personality. He responds to his name and is super docile, he follows me through the yard and when eating out of our hand he doesn't peck the crap out of us like the others he's very gentle. Everyone keeps telling us to stop wasting our money and just make soup but I wouldn't eat my dog so how do they expect me to eat my sandra? Any advice on his injury or breed would be greatly appreciated. Sandra is 4lb 4oz and 5 mos old, he's been hurt now for just over a month.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sandra doesn't look like a Cornish x to me. He may have the beginnings of Marek's disease, which usually starts with paralysis of legs. Please check out articles on BYC regarding "Mareks disease, to see if Sandra has more of the symptoms.

4. mandapanda85

Mar 19, 2017
    Ridge Manor, Fl
    We have read about mareks but his eyes are clear his stool is normal and aside from the legs there aren't any similar symptoms. Our other chickens also seem to be thriving and still laying and from what I've read mareks is highly contagious. I also forgot to add the same time we noticed him favoring 1 leg our 4 other roos attacked him and we're pecking the ever loving crap out of him so we're not sure if that is what initially caused the problem but we saw no visible signs of injury so we assumed they went after him because they noticed he was hurt.

5. mandapanda85

Mar 19, 2017
    Ridge Manor, Fl
    After looking more maybe he could be a white plymouth rock? Maybe I'm just being hopeful my boy will have a long happy life.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He is definitely not a Cornish X. They are meant to be butchered at 6-8 weeks, not months. A 5 month old meatie would be turkey sized. He's a white Rock.

I agree with drumstick diva, it does look more like Marek's than an injury. Marek's is contagious, and it's everywhere. It doesn't cause symptoms in every bird. If your other birds are all older they've probably been exposed and didn't show any symptoms. Time will tell.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks a little like a Cornish X to me, but I would think he would be even bigger (and probably dead) if he were, by this age. Probably a White Rock. The leg problems could be due to his size or something like Mareks.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    White Rock, and I agree it's probably Mareks. If it was vitamin deficiency, it would have been resolved within a week or two of the added supplements. And definitely not an injury. Injuries get better as the bird heals, they don't get progressively worse.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree he's not a cornish cross. At this age he'd be well over 10lbs were that the case.

I'm not sure what's going on. I also thought Mareks, but you said the bird has been ill a month. I don't think Marek's lingers that long? Granted, I don't have experience with it. Maybe post in the Emergencies/Diseases section, different folks hang out there and might be able to help you better than we can.

Good luck with your bird.

10. mandapanda85

Mar 19, 2017
    Ridge Manor, Fl
    Well you have at least given me some hope, now i just need to get him well. Thank you all for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by