1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Rock or White Leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Parman Brood, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Parman Brood

Parman Brood New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    The feed store we purchased from couldn't tell us which were leghorns or cornish because they were put in the same bin, so they just picked out two for us. Can anyone give me a guess on what we have? They are 2 weeks old. They are both much bigger than the red pullets we got so I would guess both cornish? I noticed their wings are much different from each others though. Does this make a difference? Thanks for helping a newbie! (Our red pullets are pictured by them and are supposedly the same age.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. msy8ix

msy8ix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Leghorns are going to be smaller than similar age chicks, CX are going to be larger. If your chicks are larger than red chicks of the same age they're Cornish cross.

1 person likes this.
  4. bhwk40

bhwk40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2013
    North-East Ohio
    those look like the rare american red brooderlamp breed

2 people like this.
  5. Parman Brood

Parman Brood New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    Thanks for your responses! I am really hoping the feed store was unsure of ages because all the leghorns and cornish were bigger than the rest. I am hoping for leghorn for eggs but either will do! [​IMG]

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yup, you got 2 broilers. Strange that they would put those two breeds in the same pen.

1 person likes this.
  7. sdaikus

sdaikus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    @iowachickens maybe this post will help? Although, it makes me think mine aren't leghorns [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by