1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish rock Question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ThePigeonKid, Mar 16, 2012.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    I bought some cornish rocks a little over a week ago. One of them seems to have ate more then the rest because in the last couple of days he seems to have put on some weight. Today he doesn't want to walk as much as the rest. He is acting like his legs are too weak. So I took him away from the broody and put him in the brooder. He doesn't have splayed leg. Is that what I should I do and is there is anything else I can do to make him live until time to butcher? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Meat chickens need for their food to be rationed, rather than having free choice food available all day, because they grow so heavy sa fast they can outgrow their legs. I'm not sure of the portions you need, but there are lots of folks here who do and will hopefully be able to give you better info! Good luck!

3. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs

I was not giving them free choice feed. [​IMG]

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I feed my meat chickens broiler or turkey feeed, not regular chick starter. They need the extra protein and energy these feeds provide. Mine have feed available from about seven in the morning to seven at night. I also put Broiler Booster, available from Murray McMurray, in the water. That seems to make a difference in their legs and over all health. This program works for me. Keep in mind that not all youngsters, of whatever species including humans, have what it takes, for genetic and/or congenital reasons to be able to grow up and mature.

5. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs

Thanks! I am feeding them broiler starter. I have been giving them this:http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/avian_charge_2000.html do I still need the Broiler Booster?

6. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    How much do you feed yours at 11days old?

7. bluere11e

bluere11e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    I start my Meaties on Purina Flock Raiser mixed half and half with MannaPro gamebird/showbird (30%) the first 2 weeks, they can have all they want 24 hrs a day. at the end of the third week, the light goes out and food gets taken up at night.. at 21-25 days, outside they go into the chicken tractor. They are dropped down to 3/4's Flock raiser to 1/4 Gamebird. I only give them enough to last from sun up to sun down.. I keep a dog crate with the doors off in it for the next 2 weeks so they have a place to go and crowd together to feel safe.. at 5 weeks, they can't fit in it any more., it comes out. The tractor gets moved to fresh grass daily. At 6 weeks, I have to move the tractor in the morning and the evening.. Poop city, you know?. I also keep water at one end of the 10X12 Tractor and food on the other end, hanging from bungie cords.. They HAVE to get up and move to get food and water and stand on their tip toes to eat. If it was up to them, they'd pull the fridge over to the couch and NEVER leave[​IMG].. Gotta make em work a little.
    By that time, they only get the Flock raiser sunup to sundown from that point on til time to process, 7-12 weeks, depending on the size they get. The cockerels grow much faster.. The pullets grow much slower

8. cackler

cackler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    We just got our first batch of cornish rocks last week. I was wondering at what point they don't have to be under a heat lamp any longer. I wish I had a movable chicken tractor as I'm sure based on what I've seen so far that it's gonna be a bit of a mess as they get bigger but I'm thinking that I'll just keep them in the stock tank that I use for a brooder until they are ready for butcher. I am feeding them starter/grower & thought that would be okay for them to have until 7 weeks when we are butchering them?

9. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    hello, I raised some cornish cross and thought I would just keep them in the booder tank like you are thinking of, and wow did I get reamed by people. they said it was crule and so I moved mine out to of all places the duck pen. I was worried about coxi really worried but they did great. once I moved them they were much happier and grew better it seemed. now I am going to try to raise cornish cross again this year and I have a old coop and run I am using, not the duck run this year. if you can do you have a way to pin them up so they can get grass and bugs you know just peck around a bit. I just want to warn you if you try to keep them contained in a small small area you will have a horrid mess to clean like two times a day and they will crap on each other and it is icky. I have never tried the cornish rocks do they taste diffrent or what?

10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by