Cornish Rock respiratory congestion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erbergamini, Jul 23, 2010.

1. erbergamini

erbergamini New Egg

May 19, 2008
    Here's the scoop. We have ~ 40 Cornish Rocks. They are approximately 5 weeks old. I have been battling a few different things. They had diarrhea and respiratory congestion of some sort- growly breathing and sneezing/coughing and some weird spit up... as though they were eating too fast and then literally spitting it back up. We had a LOT of heat and humidity for the first 3-4 weeks that we had them. We used cardboard liners for the brooder and were changing it twice a day because of all the humidity. (Probably as a result of the diarrhea on top of all the environmental humidity.)

So, I decided that we were likely fighting a coccidiosis infection and if I could get that resolved then perhaps the congestion would take care of itself. I started them on Solumet and it took care of the diarrhea and spitting up. The growly breathing didn't really go away completely, so I switched to Terramycin to try and take care of the breathing issue. The terramycin seems to not agree with them. They instantly developed watery diarrhea again, so I'm going to discontinue it.

I guess the question that I have is whether or not this breathing thing is normal for this breed. It seems to be when they are lying down, first thing in the morning, and right after they eat. The rest of the time, they are fine. There is no nasal discharge. They are lively. They don't seem to get it when they are walking around, trying to fly, etc.

Thoughts? Normal or no? Should I give them some yogurt to help with the diarrhea issue?

I am exhausted. If I end up doing "broilers" again, I'm hoping I can do something that is a little less fragile. Any suggestions on heritage breeds?

Thanks!
    Elaina

2. erbergamini

erbergamini New Egg

May 19, 2008
    wahhh... backyardchickens is failing me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by