cornish rock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3kids+5chicks, Apr 16, 2008.

1. 3kids+5chicks

3kids+5chicks New Egg

Apr 11, 2008
    wv
    ok we got some baby chicks at our local feed store. 2 barred rock and 2 cornish rock. and a mystery chick. i had no idea cornish rock where meat chickens! so now what to do with them? this was a project for the kids so im not going to die if they done lay eggs, but will they lay eggs? dont all chickens? also someone said they are not designed to live long. so about how long will they live? will they make good pets? anytime i google them all i come up with is recipes!!! help!

2. 3kids+5chicks

3kids+5chicks New Egg

Apr 11, 2008
    wv
    nobody has any ideas? man as bad as the guy who helped me at the store lol!!!

3. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had two Cornish Rocks when I was a kid not knowing what "Meat Birds" were. I had found out that you have to limit their food supply if you wish them to live any kind of longer life as they will eat till they fall over. We had this problem with Big Bad Momma as she would eat till she couldn't walk so we had to put her on a portioned ration. We also had to keep them separate from the other chickens as they would eat all the food.

They lived for four years and in that time I would say they laid probably 6 eggs each. The one we called Big Alice laid her 6 during her 3rd year and had chicks.

4. dwpoet

dwpoet New Egg

Apr 20, 2010
  5. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I did not realize this was a two year old post....woops

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by