Cornish rocks and white leghorns

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nirvanamike06, Oct 2, 2016.

1. nirvanamike06

nirvanamike06 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I've got 2 batches of chick's one is 4 weeks old and one is 3 weeks old. They are all a straight run mix of white leghorns and cornish rocks. There is one chick that has a huge comb and wattles. Seems excessively big for a chick it's age. I'm guessing this means he's a rooster.
    [​IMG]

As of now they all look pretty close to the same size. How old will they need to be before there is a big size difference where I can tell which is which? I'm guessing size is the main thing to tell which is which?

Thanks.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like there is already a pretty big size difference. Most of them are Cornish Rocks. The much smaller ones are the Leghorns.

3. nirvanamike06

May 20, 2010
    The one that's real tiny in the middle is only about a week old. He's the only one that young I didn't notice he was in the picture.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That chick is feathered in like a 4 week old. No way it's only a week.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 junebuggena

6. nirvanamike06

May 20, 2010
    This one? He's only a little over a week old.
    [​IMG]

He's is supposed to be for sure a white leghorn. I got him from a buddy who lost all but the one chick.

Also is it normal for the one on the far right with the large red comb to have a comb that big at only 4 weeks? Absolutely none of the rest of em are anywhere near that size.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He's got more feathers than most of the others. He's definitely older than 1 week. And that big of a comb already is pretty normal for both male Leghorns and Cornish Rocks.

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yep that one with the big comb is a cockerel. There is another at the far left of the pic as well.

9. nirvanamike06

May 20, 2010
    Man I'm not sure these are cornish rocks anymore.... We bought 100 and me and another guy split em 50 chick's a piece. They were supposed to be all cornish rocks but we didn't buy them from a hatchery we bought em at tractor supply. He's raised them before and said there's no way they are meat birds since they're closing in on 7 weeks old and weigh 1-2 lbs at most.

Also I read that they should have red on their faces and I don't see any red at all. I'm thinking we got a bunch of white leghorns....

What say the experts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one looks like a hint of red on the face but from the pictures I've seen of similar age chickens they should have alot more.
    [​IMG]

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Red in the combs at only 7 weeks old, indicate cockerels. Those are too chunky to be Leghorns. But they also aren't quite as hefty as I'd expect Cornish Rocks. Most likely they are White Rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by