Cornish rocks are laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrs chicken little, Aug 12, 2008.

1. mrs chicken little

mrs chicken little New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Indiana
    Hi everyone!!
    I am new here.
    I decided, after looking at this forum for the past 2-3 months to join. This is a great site and everyone is so helpful to each other. I am impressed!

Here is my question/statement.
    I searched the forums about cornish X laying eggs. Sounds like a lot of people have asked the same question. I did not find the entire answer so thought I would post.
    In May this yr, my hubby bought me some chicks at the local auction which he THOUGHT were white rocks. I was looking for some chicks/pullets or hens. He knew I liked white rocks.
    We had them for about 1-2 weeks when he found out they were Cornish Rocks. I really had no idea what they were like but I realized that these were not what I wanted and was very disappointed. They were so sweet and I had grown attached. After doing some research and talking with friends we thought we would try to raise them. I have read a lot of bad new about it though and was not real hopeful.
    We put them on cracked corn and layer as recommended by a friend. Limited to 2 times per day. It felt like I was starving them![​IMG] They also get vegetables and some other "table scraps".)
    Interestingly they are all alive, and so far I have 2 that are laying now!![​IMG]. And several are looking like they might also lay soon.
    Has anyone had them live well into adulthood (I'd be happy with 2 yrs)?
    AND at what point are they considered matured? In other words when will I need to stop worrying about them growing too big, if ever?? Do they ever stop growing? They are about the size of an average white rock but with large chests. As I said I got them about mid May and they were about 6 weeks then. So they are about 4 1/2- 5 months.
    And should I not feed them "table scraps", like pasta, and bread.?
    Thank you!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Take some pics... this is interesting... pics of the eggs too!

3. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Hi ~ I just posted something like this a little earlier!

I found 2 eggs today in the playhouse we use as the chicks' shelter. I couldn't figure out who laid them but seeing as my Cornish x is a week over 4 months old and my 2 RSLs are 2-1/2 months old, logic would point to my Cornish x being the layer. EDIT TO ADD: BYCers who responded to my post about these eggs said they feel my Cornish is the culprit. [​IMG]

Like you, I experienced disappointment when I read about their life span, etc. However a lot of people here in Hawai'i have said they had their Cornish x for 2+ years (I know someone who has 6 total, a couple are almost 5 years old) and both the hatchery and feed store recommend Triple-Duty as their diet along with leafy greens and some scraps. She LOVES noodles and tomatoes! She also free-ranges the yard, loves her bugs. [​IMG]

Anyway, here's a pic of her a month ago at a week over 3 months old (I don't know how much she weighs, our scale broke):
    [​IMG]

And here's the pic of the eggs I found today:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

woopd edited cuz i cant read.. LOL congrats [​IMG]

5. mrs chicken little

Aug 12, 2008
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    I hope I have this picture image figured out...
    If so, here is a picture of the eggs. Will get pics of the chickens as soon as I am able. They do look very much like the above picture. Mine may be larger in the chest, hard to tell. There were 2 more eggs tonight-which I broke. So it is certain that 2 are laying, one was small and one much larger, like the one on the top left.
    Thanks for the info I do feel a better knowing some can be raised.

6. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    We have one Cornish X who is laying pretty regularly every other day, although she took a time-out last week when it was really hot here. Lucille is 8-10 months old (not sure exactly, because we got her from a neighbor) and has been laying since late June. She free-ranges along with a bunch of younger chicks inside a large (130' x 70') fenced-in area, so she's pretty active for such a hefty girl.

Here's Lucille:
    [​IMG]

...and here's her first egg:
    [​IMG]

7. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    How can you tell a white rock from a cornish rock or x? I purchased my chicks from rural king and the person there told me he thought they were white rocks (the person in charge was not there). They look alot like these cornish.
    Heres a picture of mine at 17 weeks. Also the eggs look like the others posted.

[​IMG]

8. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    In my inexperienced eye, those look like White Rocks. They don't have the heft Cornish X do. [​IMG]

My Cornish X is a product of a Cornish Cockerel and a White Rock hen. I hate to admit this but I don't know if all Cornish X are the same mix. Anyway, I would think that there would be a resemblance given the mix. [​IMG]

9. mrs chicken little

Aug 12, 2008
    Indiana
    Here are the girls. I guess they do look just like the ones posted before.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know when they become mature? Will I always have to limit their feed?

Yes I also think those look like white rocks. My gals are really pudgy up front.

10. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    tx chicknhawaii, they are younger than the others so I wondered.. went to the fair and looked at chickens sooo just wondered.. I also only have one that is laying. what is the xdo? donna

Edited to add: My chickens look like yours Ms chicken, how old are yours? Are you saying yours are white rocks or cornish x? donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by