1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Rocks as layers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zbraswell92, Mar 5, 2012.

1. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    I just purchased 9 crsh rk chicks at TSC yesterday. I totally forgot that they're a meat bird and they won't let me return them. :/ Can I use them as layers? I'm feeding them Dumor Chick 20% 12 hours on/12 hours off. Is 20% protein okay? Should I feed them the 24%, or is that only for super, rapid growth?
    I really like them. They come right up to my hand and investigate new things. :) So cute!!
    Just wondering if they can live a long, healthy life w/o the slaughter?
    Any advice greatly welcome. :D

2. FreedomLover

FreedomLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Romance
    From what I understand ... no, they will not lay eggs. They are strictly meat birds. Sorry.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Search around on here, mostly on the meat bird thread. There have been instances of folks keeping these birds a year or so, and rarely a few years. They do lay eggs, but really not enough to justify the amount of feed they eat. You need to limit their feed, to keep the growth down, and encourage them to free range or move around as much as possible. Put the food and water as far away from each other as you can, in the brooder and in the coop. I think you want the lower protein feed if you're wanting to keep them around a while. It can be done, but they do require a little closer management and they'll still have a higher tendancy toward sudden death. They are really friendly birds, but can get kinda gross cause they lay on their bellies a lot and often don't grow feathers there well and often have poo on them from laying down so much. You might just want to resell them and start over with some layers.

4. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    From everything I have read, thy do not live log enough to reproduce. I believe that they will just die off in a couple of weeks after the best time to process them, which is way to early to reproduce. The longest one I have seen live in my studies, is 16 weeks, but it could barely move. I have 5 I bought at TSC and their rate of growth is outstanding!! I can almost see it happening! When compared to the pullets I bought the same day it is almost mind-boggling!

Enjoy them while you can [​IMG]

5. sharebear29

sharebear29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    They really need to tell people that. My hubby bought me 4 last year (trying to help out) and it was miserable. We don't eat our chickens and the oldest one only lived to be about 6 months. I felt really sorry for them and was almost relieved when passed.

I considered putting an ad on craigslist for someone to come take them because I felt so bad for them.

Honestly -if you can find someone to take them or resale them now I think that would be your best option - unless you plan on eating them.

Sorry...wish I had better suggestions.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure, you can try and keep them as layers, it has been done, so not impossible.

On the scope of harsh reality, economics, time investment, and breed purpose... eat em or sell them to someone who will.

7. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    I put them on CL 2 days ago and got a response in less than 30mins!! The guy said he'd trade me 12 pullets for my 9 Cornish! Pretty good, huh? He says 12 pullets because it's almost an hour drive to him to swap and can't meet us in-between! Ugh! :/
    They sure are cute! I have them in my Ducks old kiddy pool and they've just learned how to jump, uh oh...
    Thanks for y'all's opinions!

8. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    That is a good trade! Glad it worked out.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  9. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    I'm glad to see you found a good solution! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by