Cornish Rocks/Cornish X Same???????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wawa, Nov 16, 2009.

1. wawa

wawa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Someone asked in another post this same question but it got passed by,Are Cornish Rocks the same as Cornish X if not whats the difference and which is the best. I have Cornish Rocks and also would like to know if I did wrong by having a constant food supply for them 24/7. They are 5wks old and doing fine getting bigger every day. I have heard others talk about taking the food away from them is there a scheduale they should be fed on???

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Cornish Rocks or Cornish X usually refers to the same type of birds which are used for meat, the names are interchangeable.

3. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Sorry didn't answer feed question. You may want to take the feed away at night so they don't over eat.

4. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    do your birds have access to grass? I feed my birds as much as they will eat in a bout 20-30 mins then feed then again 4 hours later they get to range the rest of the time. they don't grow a quick but i like they way they taste when they get grass much more flavorful meat. takes about 10-12 weeks to get to about 8 lbs dressed

5. wawa

wawa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Quote:I just started letting them out in the yard during the day for a few hours It has been cold and I wasnt sure if they where old enough to handle the cold.But I still have food to them 24/7

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The meat bird is actually a cross between a highly specialized line of cornish and a speical line of Plymouth Rock, hence, cornish x rock or cornish rock cross.

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I take the food away for roughly 12 hours, at night. It doesn't have to be perfectly timed though.

8. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Cornish X, Cornish Cross, Cornish Rocks, and Cornish Rock Cross are all the same basic critter. Where confusion starts is when people truncate and call these birds Cornish, which they ain't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by