cornish rocks questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raspeary, Apr 24, 2009.

1. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    Are Cornish Rocks typically lazy chicks? They like to sleep alot, and I've noticed they rather eat laying down. lol...they sometimes move without fully standing up. I also have two assorted reds and they seem to be much more active.

The only time I see my cornish rocks do much is when i let them outside, but within a half hour they will lie down and take a short nap. is this normal for the breed..

Thanks

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    In short: yes.

Check out the meat birds section to learn more about meaties. They're stinky, fast-growing, ugly birds.

But Mmm, Mmm good!

3. raspeary

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    Quote:Will they lay eggs even though they are meat birds?

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They will if they survive to adulthood. They're not meant to become adults and will likely have leg problems (they grow too fast).

Someone on the boards has meaties that are adults now. Try doing a search for "Meat bird" and "aspirin" since they used aspirin to help them birds through a growth spurt.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Quote:Will they lay eggs even though they are meat birds?

If they live long enough I suppose. They are bred to be meat birds. Period. Usually butchered before 8 weeks. We keep ours to about 12 weeks because we like big roasters. They will start to die of heart attacks, etc if you keep them any longer than that.

6. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Yes to all of that. You do know about the 12 hour feeding rule right? You are supposed to feed them for twelve hours and then take it away for 12. I did not know this until one died of I'm assuming a heart attack and one was culled early, due to concerns that he might not make it. Just letting you in on this if you didn't know, like me. Hope it helps.

vortec

7. raspeary

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    Quote:Yes to all of that. You do know about the 12 hour feeding rule right? You are supposed to feed them for twelve hours and then take it away for 12. I did not know this until one died of I'm assuming a heart attack and one was culled early, due to concerns that he might not make it. Just letting you in on this if you didn't know, like me. Hope it helps.

vortec

I didn't know that. I will start that tomorrow.
    I have a new plan now. Which is:

Finish raising the cornish rocks and butcher when time =-( We have a farm up the road that is selling chicks. So i plan on going tomorrow to get 4 more assorted reds for my other two assorted reds. My hubby is building a coop for 6 chickens and now that I plan on butchering 4 of my 6, i figured i should get 4 more to make up for the other ones that won't be there.

8. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    I am so glad you know now. I lost one of my cornish rocks to a heart attack more then likely due to his weight, and the one we culled early had a blood clot the size of a strawberry lodged in his chest, that probably would have spelled the end within a week if I hadn't culled him. 12 hours on, 12 hours off. I learned the hard way but none the less, I learned and I am so glad I could pass this on to you. Good luck!

btw, new chicks is always a good idea, lol

vortec

9. autumn bond

autumn bond New Egg

Apr 4, 2015
    honestly i am 12 and i just got my chickens today and i think they are about a couple months old and all my little chicks do is sleep and it makes me think there is something wrong. Are they ok? is it normal for them to just lay down and sleep a lot?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by