1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Rocks vs Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FakeFarmer1, Mar 11, 2016.

1. FakeFarmer1

FakeFarmer1 Out Of The Brooder

Whats the difference and why? Why does tractor supply sell Cornish rocks and not Cornish cross?

2. calpal212

calpal212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    They are the same exact things just known by different names

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree they're the same thing.

4. Carpe diem

Carpe diem New Egg

Jun 30, 2015
    I purchased Cornish rocks hoping to be able to breed them and increase the number of my meat bird flock. I've unfortunately lost about 20% of them to natures ways. I've now been reading that they rarely are able to be bred successfully and die as fast as they grow. Any success out there in breeding?

5. calpal212

calpal212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Well I would just say restrict feed, and the chicks will not grow as fast as the parents anyway, the parents are crosses for fast growth and if you breed Cornish crosses together they will no longer be Cornish rocks they will just be... Slower

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Spend some time cruising the meat bird forum, there are lots of older threads where folks have tried doing this with varying results.

7. Hay Belly

Hay Belly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    Carpe, they were bred to slaughter at 8 to 12 weeks. Breeding meaties is like expecting a Dachshund to jump four feet. Not gonna happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by