Cornish rocks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PhlyinPheBee, Mar 22, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Hi there. I am new to the chicken life. Reading on this topic I am worried that I might have made a mistake. I bought several chicks from TSC last week. 2 of them are to be cornish rocks st run. I know what st run is but did not know anything about them except that they were going to be a big white bird.

My big question is does this mean that they are meat birds? Not meant to have in a free range flock of egg layers? Should I keep them apart from the banties and other chicks that I bought?

Thanks for all info you can share!

Rene'

2. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    st run? or straight run.....just making sure because i have never heard of a st. run breed....they should be meat birds if they are cornish, and - correct me if i am wrong - big commercial meat chicken facilities breed cornish with a white rock bird? for better results.....

3. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    sorry.....my shorthand is not the best. yes straight run is right.

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I picked up 6 chicks at TS on Friday and I'm afraid I may have 4 Cornish Rocks in my brooder too. There wasn't much left to choose from and they had mixed all the chicks together... the layers and the meaties. Darn that stupid 6 chick rule, now I'm stressing over possibly having meat birds! [​IMG]

5. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    My only saving grace is that my uncle will take them if the really are a meat bird. I so cannot bear to have to butcher them.

I had the choice wether or not to pick them. I just thought I would a variety of them. Boy I wish I could go back in time and not pick them out.

Rene'

6. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    see if you cant sell them....thats if you really dont want them...personally, i dont have the need for them, but somebody on BYC surely would...ya know?

7. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hmmm, I have an uncle who is a chicken person. I'll have to see if he would be interested in mine if they are indeed meaties. Thanks for the good idea!

Are yours bigger than your other chicks? What else did you get?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  8. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    So far no. They were a week old today. They are in with some very small banties and other larger breed of layers. I will be weighing them tomorrow and see if there is a weight difference under that fluffy down.

Rene'

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Hopefully
    , someone who is knowledgeable will show up here soon!

I think "Cornish Rock" refers to a Cornish crossed with a white rock, which is most certainly a meat bird, and has its own unique set of care requirements. Usually called Cornish X. I think. A few people have raised them as flock birds, but it takes some knowledge and special care/feeding.

I could also be all wet. Have not raised meat birds. But it will be OK for a few days with the others, til you can get it figured out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by