1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Rocks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thejordans, Mar 2, 2013.

1. thejordans

thejordans New Egg

May 1, 2012
    Anniston, AL
    Last Sunday I purchased (8) Cornish Rocks from TSC. These birds are eating like pigs. Realistically, how much should I feed them a day?? Right now, I am feeding them 2 cups in the morning and they eat it. I then re-fill with 1 more cup.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kymw90

Kymw90 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Cornwall UK
    My Coop
    I believe you have brought "eating" birds or Broiler chickens ( unless you already knew that?) they are programmed to just hang their head in a feeder and eat and eat and eat because they need to get up to eating size.
    http://www.permies.com/t/2006/chickens/making-raising-cornish-rock-cross

This was one site about how they scoff food before ther slaughter date. Hope this helps?

3. Kildare49

Kildare49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    There is a "meat" bird forum on byc.
    You will find plenty of information.

4. thejordans

thejordans New Egg

May 1, 2012
    Anniston, AL
    thank you for the information; it was very helpful.

5. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Take their food up at night. I agree about the meat bird forum. Lots of helpful folks their. Did you know they are "meat" birds? It ticks me off that TSC sells them to people who dont know any better and then their birds die from heart attacks.

6. thejordans

thejordans New Egg

May 1, 2012
    Anniston, AL
    Yes, I knew what I buying.... I had done my research; however, reading about them is totally different than raising them!! [​IMG] OMG!

We have some black broilers that are we raising as well. I don't know which one I dislike more.... There is NO emotional attraction to either set of birds.

This has been an experiment on "can you raise meaties cost effectively" as compared to the price of chicken in the store. The answer is no because the birds eat like pigs I have lost count on the bags of feed. [​IMG]

7. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    you're right. They do eat like pigs. Are you doing FF? That would cut down on your feed costs a lot.

8. thejordans

thejordans New Egg

May 1, 2012
    Anniston, AL
    no.... unfortunately not. I don't trust them or my neighbors dogs. They've only got 3 more weeks...

9. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    sorry.... I'm not completely following you...

10. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    ahhh... Never mind. FF means fermented feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by