Cornish to Breed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Acable14, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Acable14

Acable14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    I got 10 cornish given to me I was woundering if I could raise them and breed them any advice would be helpful

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Are these pure Cornish, or are they Cornish X meat birds? If they are purebred Cornish, yes, you can raise them and breed them. But, if they are Cornish X, breeding likely wouldn't be a good idea. They grow to be very heavy birds, often die early due to heart problems, and have trouble breeding due to their size and the width between their legs. Also, because the Cornish X are mixes, the chicks won't have all the traits as the parents. They may still be good meat birds, but probably not as good as the parents.

1 person likes this.
  3. Acable14

Nov 1, 2014
    Im not sure exactly what they are I think they are cornish rocks they where bought for me by my grandmother who thinks chickens are all chickens

4. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Are they brown or white?

5. Acable14

Nov 1, 2014
    They are white I just called the place she got then and he said theare cornish rocks

6. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    CX (Cornish Rocks/Cross) just aren't for breeding. They will grow VERY fast and be ready for butcher at 12 weeks or less. I have let some of mine go longer (just processed some 19 week olds) but they soon get to the point where you MUST butcher.

If you are looking for breeds that you can get eggs and breed check out the 'Breeds' tab at the top of the BYC page! There are countless types of chickens and basic breeds, such as Rhode Island Reds/Production Reds (RIR) are pretty easy to come by!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  7. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    My grandmother who raised chickens for years is shocked at all of the different types! She is 'tickled pink' that I am raising and breeding chickens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by