Cornish X 6wks tomorrow, question??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jessicayarno, Nov 15, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Okay, my Cornish X will be 6wks tomorrow and I have read that some people process at 6wks.. I do have some little butterballs out there, but could I possibly have a few 5 pounders??? I would love to process a few this next monday and have them instead of turkey for Thanksgiving.. Obviously I need to get a scale, what weight would I be shooting for if I want a 6lb carcass?? Thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I think the formula is roughly 2/3 of the live weight, is what you will end up with. So if your bird weighs 6lb live, you will have a 4lb roaster.

3. Mr. Nappy

Mr. Nappy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Quote:Dressed weight is about 75% of live weight. Hence, for a 6 lb. dressed bird, you'll need an 8 lb. live weight.

Edited to add: I use a digital hanging scale, purchased inexpensively wherever sporting goods are sold

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We processed two at 6 weeks. One was 4 lbs live weight and 3 lbs dressed weight. The other was over 5 1/2 lbs live weight and was 4 1/4 lbs dressed if that helps. The 5 1/2 lb bird was the biggest one we had at 6 weeks.

5. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I waited til my Cornish X were a bit too big at 10 weeks... Lost a few, and oh my were the legs an issue on many by then. Still tender and delicious, but they were not too happy, or good looking by then. Big birds however. I had a few 7 pound fellows in a bag!

6. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    Just processed one of mine a week early, at 7 week.s It was the biggest one and breathing with its mouth open. Dressed out at 3.5 lbs.

7. jdw

jdw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    we just processed 25 this past weekend.At 7.5 weeks they ranged from 4.75-5.25lbs. They are delicious!

8. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:Was it filled with fluid? I had to cull one yesterday, and that is what mine was doing and by the time I had the cone up and everything ready, she was almost dead in my arms, very sad to watch.. She was filled with yellow fluid, so i cleaned her and fed her to my dogs..

9. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    No fluid, but that sounds freaky.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    How many birds do you have? Can you process just the Thanksgiving dinner ones and let the rest grow for a couple more weeks? (Home raised chicken for Thanksgiving sounds wonderful to me)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by