Cornish X - bad legs, any cure??

ladyrua

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Hello all - this is my second time with this problem, the first hen was old enough to butcher out, but this one is just 5 weeks old and too small.

So I read that Cornish X are susceptible to getting bad legs, because they're a meat bird and can gain weight so quickly their legs can't keep up. They start sitting down more, struggling to walk, splayed legs, etc. This hen started showing the symptoms last thursday, and I isolated her on Sunday. The only thing I could think to do was put her in her own cage (inside), with a towel on the floor for traction, and just water - no food. I've been giving her a small portion of food once a day, but keeping it very limited. She digests well, she feathered out nicely, good color on her vent, eyes, and "ears". Just can't stand, let alone walk!

Will this work? Is there anything else I can do for her?

We had the same problems with our first batch of meat birds. The second batch we started controled feedings. feed them a set amount in the morning and again in the afternoon. This keeps them from gorging all day long and seems to have helped some.

Thanks guys, I'll try the limited feeding! I've just got to find a way to stop them from mobbing the door everytime they see me coming! I am The Great Food Provider!

Hello group. Glad I've found you this is my first post. I've had the same problem with 2 of my current 50 cornish x. Will try the limited feeding also but I was wondering what should the portion be? I've just been keeping their feeders full up until this point and realize that that might not be a good idea. My chickens also forage a lot as they are free ranged.

Kind regards,
Sosanista
Mendocino County, CA

Back
Top Bottom