Cornish x brooding

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SC-ChickMom, Nov 5, 2011.

1. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    I am very excited. I am getting my first chickens next week. I ordered Egg and meat chickens. I assume that I will be able to pick out the meaties after a couple weeks because of size differences. My question: How long are meaties in the brooder box with a light before they go outside? about 3 weeks? Will I need to separate the meaties from the egg layers into different brooders? TIA

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It would be a good idea to separate them if you are going to feed them differently. I did raise one meatie chick with some layers and he did fine until he was about 8 weeks old and then he was so heavy he had trouble keeping up with them free-ranging. I've only ever done it in Spring when the weather is warming and I can get them outside during the day at 3 weeks and full-time by 4 weeks. This time of year, when the weather is getting colder, you might find you need to keep them inside for longer. The best rule of thumb is "when they are fully feathered".

3. SC-ChickMom

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Well, after just a week I went ahead and separated them. I read everything I could before the chicks got here and mentally I knew the meaties would gain faster. What you picture and what you get can quite different. I am amazed at the size difference in just one week. Wow. You can actually feel the difference in breast size between the two. So far this has been an exciting week. This is a great learning experience for our family.

4. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    Post some pics! We would all like to see.

5. NatureBoy86

NatureBoy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    South Florida
    Quote:X2

6. SC-ChickMom

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    This is the first day. All 23 chicks in one box.
    [​IMG]

My Cornish X by themselves
    [​IMG]

CX being held by my 11 yr old today
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by