cornish x chicks

rypie13

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
We are getting our chicks next week, so we are trying to get ready. I want to be sure how long we feed medicated chick feed to them, and when do we start with broiler feed? what is the best kind of feed for them? When will the roosters start to crow of this breed? we are getting straight run, and I will have to butcher before that happens.

Well, I am no expert but I have raised two batches of meat chickens (Cornish X0 and I am on my third. I fed chick starter till they were about 3 weeks and then I switched to a grower/finisher. I can not tell you a name brand as we just buy from our local grain/feed store. I have used the Dumor brand from TSC in the past and this also worked well. I make sure they have access to plenty of grass etc but did not supplement any other feed. I usually do give them scraps and or garden weeds etc as treats each day. Since I butcher at between 8-9 weeks none of mine ever crowed and I also got a straight run and you can usually tell the roos. Hope this helps!!

I have almost 4 week old Rocks. I was planning on feeding them Dumor 20% starter until I butchered them. They get a couple hours of free range every day and lots of garden refuse.

Is this not a good way to raise meat birds?

thank you! it for sure helps. I just found out that (yea) the lady we ordered with ordered pullets only, so we don't have to worry. I am glad to hear how and when you change their food... I am so excited, but we want to do it right!

My Cornish X have eaten the Purina Broiler chow since the first day. It is a feed used from start to finish. No need to switch feeds which can cause a decrease in gain and stress to the birds. I believe Greyfields recommends feeding a broiler feed from start to finish as well. I'm sure he will jump in here and confirm or deny!
wink.png

Good luck with them! Mine have until the first of August to go!!!!

Jane

Quote:
The 20% Dumor should be fine. In the past, I've started mine on that, and after a week, I'd start mixing it with their regular (mash) feed. By about 2 weeks, I'd have them off the Dumor. I might try raising them on the mash feed from start to finish this time.

So when you start and finish with the purina, do you have your chicks immunized? We were told to start with medicated feed and skip the immunizations with such a small flock. The last thing I want is stressed out birds! I stress enough for all of us!
barnie.gif

No immunizations for ours. The medicated broiler feed has no withdrawl time hence the ability to use start to finish. They aren't alive long enough to have a withdrawl time allowance!

jane

Another question I have is if we have 20 chicks coming how many feeding / watering stations do you recommend? We are thinking about doing something that will fill as they eat, but want to make sure that we have enough out and available. I am so glad that we found this site! Everyone has such great advice!!

Back
Top Bottom