Cornish X chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ER123, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ER123

ER123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Getting some Cornish x chicks in the spring. Was wondering at what age they can be put out in the coop without heat? Also how cold of temperatures can they handle at that point?
    Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Most chicks are fully feathered by 6 weeks and able to regulate their body temperature fairly well, but I've never raised meat birds, so I can't tell. I think you should let these chicks guide you. Offer them extra heat in the coop anyway and see what they do. You should be able to tell from their behaviour if they are too hot (panting), too cold (huddled together) or comfortable.

3. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    CX will get their feathers way before 6 weeks should be covered by 3 weeks.

4. ER123

ER123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    So after 3 weeks how cold of temperatures would you think they could handle?
    Thanks

5. TamTurkey

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Hmmm hard to say. I am told they can take 20-40 degree weather but I am a firm believer that temperature has a lot to do with the time it takes to feed out meaties. I raise them for show so I have to get them as plump as possible (without killing them) in 6 weeks so we keep them temperature controlled. By 3 weeks they are at 70 degrees. (they actually have a window unit in their coop keeping them at the right temp) I am afraid I cant answer that question for you. I only know what we do. If nothing else I would make sure they had a heat lamp and could get out of the wind and weather when they wanted to. Most free rangers try to have theirs in the freezer by Halloween. Good luck to you.

6. ER123

ER123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Thank you

7. ER123

ER123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    So sounds like at about three weeks I should be able to put them out in my coop, and they can handle cold weather. There is not power where the coop is so heat in the coop really isnt an option.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  8. TamTurkey

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Er I would suggest extension cords and a heat lamp. if they are cold they will spend more energy keeping warm and less fattening up.

9. TamTurkey

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    You can do it but I would add at least 2-4 weeks to fatten them to processing weight

10. chicken dude

chicken dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    can you send me pictures because I am interested in the different meat breeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by