Cornish x crossed with turken (necked necks)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SlipsWife, Feb 11, 2014.

1. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    We are wanting to start processing our own meat birds. We will be starting with extra roosters but I would like to eventually have our own 'flock' of meaties. I have an order of 9 turkens that should be arriving Wednesday (and 2 hens already) and I've read how they are great for dual purpose. Our hens laid pretty steady through the winter. I would say their eggs fall in the large category but barely, for some reason they aren't near as large as our red sex-links eggs. They were also on the smaller end of things when we got them (we honestly thought they were bantams but Cackle doesn't sell bantam turkens) but they caught up with their growth.

Since turkens have less feathers and are said to be easier for plucking, I would like to do a Cornish x with a turken. Which way would be the best to go about this? A turken rooster and slow growing Cornish x pullet/hen? Since we are in Texas, I would want to wait and time everything out where our Cornish is ready to lay in the fall so the heat wouldn't be to much on her. Would that be the best way to go about it? Its not something that's going to happen tomorrow by any means. The turkens I've ordered are suppose to actually all be pullets but since we all know hatcheries make sexing mistakes and its not 100%, I'm hoping there's at least one rooster in there, regardless if I follow through with this project or not.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. ijon

ijon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    I crossed a red ranger with a naked neck. It was a nice sized chick when I left for Florida. I have not seen in six weeks.

3. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    I need to read up on red rangers. Do they have the same health issues that CornishX's?

4. ijon

Jan 11, 2012
    I have raised both. The red rangers don't seem to have the heart problems. I have a rooster and two hens from last years hatch. The rooster will try to fly when I let them out. And he is a big boy. Tons more active than Cornish rock.

5. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    Where did you get your Red Rangers from? We might try a small number of Cornish and Red Rangers together and see what works best. Do you feed them the 12 hours on/off like you would the Cornish or can you let them eat with your regular flock and not worry about them over eating?

6. ijon

Jan 11, 2012
    I got my chicks both red rangers and naked neck from Cackle hatchery in Mo. I have ordered from them twice, had good luck. This cross would probably work better if you could get your hands on heritage naked neck.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by