Cornish X...disgusting, dirty bellies/breasts

Whitey_87

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
I am nearing my butchering date for my Jumbo Cornish X Rocks from McMurray. I am hoping some of the experienced processors can share their tips for getting the belly / breasts cleaned...maybe even sanitized during butchering.

Mine just have not seemed to grow their under-feathers very well so they do not have a barrier from the poo that they have no problem laying on. I do move the tractor daily, but you all know how much goes in and comes out of these birds. So some of them have poo'd feathers on their underside.

Is there anything I should really worry about when I process these birds?
After I bleed them out, should I try to wash off the carcass before plucking?
Should I just leave the dirty feathers as is and everything will be removed when scalded and plucked?
Should I wash the bald carcass with mild dish soap or anything?

I do want to give some birds away to get people interested in my next round. I just want to be sure that their current dirty condition is less of an issue that I am making it out to be.

Thanks,
Whitey

The scalding water should kill any bacteria. Besides as long as no one is eating the meat raw there is no concern of any bacteria as long as they are cooked properly so I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom